As the end of 2015 came to pass with the New Year’s countdown at midnight, people shouted,
“HAPPY NEW YEAR!” No matter where you live, that’s when we celebrate, reflect, and make
resolutions on what we’re going to do in 2016, that we didn’t do in 2015. It’s that time of
year when we all reflect on this past year and wonder “where did the time go?”
People’s top 10 lists or resolutions include, getting rid of those extra pounds, start an exercise routine,
and actually sticking to it, managing stress, volunteering more, quitting smoking, getting a better
education, save money, reduce and recycle, get a better job and take a well-deserved trip.
I think all of these are great, especially the last one.
Start planning now and take that well- deserved trip and return to Mackinac Island in 2016, your
home away from home. On Mackinac, everyone has their favorite things to do, whether it’s their
favorite hotel to stay,where to eat, shop for Island memorabilia, buy fudge, places to visit, sightsee,
explore, and if you’re like me, where to bike ride and how many times.
What’s on your top 10 list to do when you return next Spring,
Summer and Fall?
Here are some ideas to start making your list so you’ll be ready.
- Have lunch or dinner on the patio at the Pink Pony and listen to great music.
- Visit the Fort and learn tons about the history of Mackinac Island.
- Bike around the island in the opposite direction from your normal route. Try it for a different perspective of the Island.
- Visit Arch Rock by bike or climb the stairs from the bottom. (selfies allowed)
- Bike from Arch Rock and all the way down Leslie Avenue. Then, turn left up the hill, and explore Harrisonville, to see where some Islanders live year round.
- Bike on North Bicycle Trail on the inner Island and visit Sugar Loaf.
- Ride your bike up the long hill, past the Grand Hotel, make a left and get lost in the serenity of the West Bluffs.
- Bike ride to the inner island and visit the airport, and watch the planes take off and land. Next, bike all the way down British Landing road to the water, next to the cannon.
- Pack a lunch from Doud’s and visit your favorite beach spot for a great picnic lunch.
- After a long day, treat yourself to a amazing spa treatment at the Lilac Spa.
This year, use this one or make your own Top 10 list on what you’re going to do when you come
to Mackinac in 2016. Share your list and post your ideas on our Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Facebook page. We’re looking forward to hearing from all of you!
See you in the Spring!
George Piliouras for The Lilac Tree Suites & Spa