Why do you come to Mackinac Island? It’s my home away from home and by far, my favorite place on the planet. This is one of my favorite times of year when everything is brand new again. The birds are chirping, the sky is crisp, buds are growing on the trees and flowers are coming into bloom. And this is the time when Mackinac’s famous Lilacs burst onto the scene announcing, “Spring is finally here!” Seeing and smelling the Lilacs up close and looking at them down at Main Street from the Fort or East Bluffs takes my breath away. Mackinac Island’sLilac Festival is a 10 – day celebration, the first and largest summer event on the island going on from June 3rd – 12th and this year promises to be one of the best ever! The Lilac Festival originated in 1949 and is proudly celebrating its 68th year!
This year is also the 25th Anniversary at the Lilac Tree Suites & Spa and we’re equally proud that our Lilac name honors Mackinac’s beautiful lilacs. Our lobby is beautifully decorated with lilacs and there is a canopy of lilacs painted on the ceiling overhead.
So what will you do during this year’s Lilac Festival? Here are a few ideas for you!
- A Taste of Mackinac. You’ll enjoy culinary favorites, personally served by the chefs from the Island’s restaurants on the lawn of the Harbour View Inn. What makes it even better is that you’ll be surrounded by some of the Island’s oldest lilacs and will be the perfect combo of sight, smell and taste.
- Try out the Mackinac Island Legends and Lore Trek- Enjoy guided walking tours through Mackinac State Park. Another is the Mackinac Revealed Walking Tour– Led by a genuine Islander to famous Victorian neighborhoodson the Bluffs and wooded trails where you can learn about summer cottages, customs, reliance on horses, carriages and Mackinac’s natural environment. I recently went on a walking tour with a local Islander and discovered things about Mackinac I never knew before.
- Run in the Lilac Festival 10 K and after, you can soothe your muscles at The Lilac Tree Suites & Spa with a therapeutic spa treatment. Your body will say, “thank you!” and you’ll soon discover why we nicknamed the spa, “Stairway to Heaven.” If your preference is to watch the 10K, we have the best views when you’re in one of our suites as the racers trek down Main Street.
- Mackinac Bridge Sightseeing Tour- Get on the Royal Queen III and experience the Mighty Mackinac Bridge up close with great views of lighthouses, forts and the shores of the Straits with music and live narration. A great time for all!
- Coronation of the Lilac Festival Queen and Court. The Lilac Queen is selected by the studentsand classmates at Mackinac Island’s Public School. It is to honor the student who has dedicated their time to their classmates and community events throughout the year. It’s a great way to support the great Mackinac Island Community!
- The Lilac Festival Grand Parade is a sight to behold and again, our suites offer the best views in town. Sit outside on your private patio and watch the parade go by.
The Lilac Festival will also have numerous other walking tours with Lilac experts, local art exhibits, Dancing in the streets, music concerts, sailing and horse drawn carriage tours, and so much more! If you’ve never been to the Lilac Festival, it’s time to experience the beauty of Mackinac like never before. Whether it’s the Lilac Festival or any of the great events going on as our 2016 season unfolds, make your reservations for your great get-away on Mackinac Island. 2016 is going to be a fantastic season. We have a suite with your name on it. Sweet!
So why are you coming to Mackinac Island this year? Let us know!
Better yet, tell us in person.
George Piliouras for The Lilac Tree Suites & Spa